The Cité internationale de la bande dessinée et de l’image has just created its Foundation for the 9th Art under the aegis of the Institut de France. This is the first Foundation in France dedicated to comics. Amongst its objectives stand the support to creation and authors and the development of the educational potential of comic books, an ideal media to reach young people from all backgrounds.
Through a donation to the Foundation for the 9th Art, the Primat Foundation and its Sheltered Fund Odonata wish to support emerging comic book authors who, through their creation, contribute to question environmental issues and other challenging questions of our time (diversity and biodiversity, tolerance and care of living beings, child protection).
The objective of the project is to organize over a maximum period of two years (2020-2021):
- Direct financial support to the 4 selected authors working on Environmental themes
- Funding for a 3-month residency at the Authors’ House
- A Cycle of meetings and workshops at the Domaine des Etangs in Massignac with the identified authors.
- Organization of an”Environment” section at the Authors’ House exhibition.
- Direct grant to selected authors
- Direct coverage of housing assistance in Angoulême and workshop costs
- One or two days of inspiration trip at the Domaine des Etangs in Massignac, an exemplary place in the Charente region known for its sustainable management of the environment and its art gallery showing exceptional works, emblematic of the relationship between Man and Nature.
- Exhibition, framing, scenography, and communication
- Restitution of the work and meetings at the Domaine des Etangs with the authors
The Foundation for the 9th Art, created in 2019 on the initiative of the Cité internationale de la bande dessinée et de l’image of Angoulême, is the first foundation dedicated to comic books. Its aim is to encourage and support those involved in creation and innovation in the development of projects in which the comic strip and all the graphic design professions play a decisive role, with the dual objective of promoting and attracting attention at local, national and international levels.